Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tribute to Canyonview

When I think about why I live in San Diego, and I do all too often, always the first thing that pops into my mind is ... swimming. The weather is perfect, the best, but most of all it enables ... swimming. The beach is lovely and perfect for long walks and the daily Daisy+ frisbee action, the shore life is interesting every day, the ocean is beautiful and ever-changing. But that never-changing black line at the bottom of the pool is what I want to see when I'm ... swimming.And on deck, I want to see a coach! Sickie's been coaching the UCSD Masters swim program for over 25 years now. There are swimmers who've been with the program almost that long. I can't imagine life here in La Jolla without at least one conversation with Sickie per week. And in case I miss seeing him, I can refer to the Sickie bobble-head doll we all received as this year's annual tchotchke.

And I want to see a workout! Even if, as Sickie often says, "This is Masters. Take it as a suggestion."

It' s pretty amazing how much further we all swim with an assigned practice and friends swimming along side.

Seems to me that we all get a lot more sentimental -- well, let's admit it, cornball -- as we get older. I care more and more about seeing familiar faces in familiar places. Here in La Jolla, there's one place where I can count on seeing people I know and like ... swimming. Swimming at Canyonview!

No comments: